So I created an EQ7 (Electric Quilt) challenge for myself —
...try designing a new lap quilt using EQ7 from start to finish, downloading the exact fabrics (before even seeing or buying them), and then make the quilt almost exactly as shown…
As you know, I fell in love with Moda’s “Honeysweet” fabric, so I downloaded the line from their website HERE, so I could import it to my “fabric library”. EQ7 software makes it so easy to do this.
Then I could “paint” the quilt with the fabrics to see how they might look.
Here’s my first try:
And my final version that I decided to work with:
I liked playing around with the dresden plate, which reminded me of flowers (the hope of spring to come!)….
EQ7 doesn’t realize some short-cuts–I had to re-draft the pattern a bit so I could create the points of the “petals” by making a seam, turning it, & pressing.
It also doesn’t know that I take a short-cut doing corners on this alternate block by using a smaller square & sewing the seam corner to corner. So I had to make some changes in my pattern & accommodate for extra rose & green fabric.
But it was a lot of fun! 🙂
And here’s how it turned out…
I decided not to quilt inside the Dresden plate–but to “echo” the secondary square instead…
And add a hand dyed floss “tie” to the center of each “flower”.
All in all, it was a fun experience…and I may try doing it again.
On the to next…