Thanks for all your comments. I appreciate your valuable input.
In the end, it seemed the “votes” were 50/50–about half of you liked the light batik, and about half of you preferred the green hand dyed fabric for the border.
It was a hard decision—although I think either choice would have been fine in the end. I wish I had made two iris art quilts so I could have used both borders!
I thought the light batik contained too much purple (you might not have been able to see it in the photos)—and it clashed a bit with the deeper reds and pinks in the iris. The green hand dyed fabric seemed to continue the grass and foliage theme. Green always looks so good in nature surrounding the flowers that pop here and there in the garden…don’t you think?
So… ta da!
I went with the green this time.
To create the border, I first folded four 1-1/4” strips of the batik in half and pressed them.
I ❤ my new iron!
And laid the folded strips against the four sides of the center—raw edges together–and basted it in place.
Next I cut four strips of the green hand-dyed fabric about 2-1/2” wide, and added them to the sides with 1/4″ seams & pressed them out
Then added them to the top and bottom and pressed them out too.
Using a free-motion foot on my Bernina, I free-motion quilted a vine with leaves running around the new border and then added a 1-1/2″ single fold binding in a deep green batik to finish it off.
I like to add corner hangers to my smaller art quilts (see this earlier blog for directions), so I can insert a wooden dowel for easy hanging.
It’s now for sale at my Mulberry Patch Quilts Etsy Site
Until next time, HAPPY QUILTING!