I’ve been wanting to create a second art quilt using a pattern by McKenna Ryan as the inspiration. It’s a peaceful mountain scene featuring a branch in the foreground with Chickadees.
The challenge for me was to try to find just the right fabrics for each portion of the scene by auditioning them one by one. I wanted choose the best fabric to give the contrast needed in the composition.
I started by creating the background, including the borders (so that the branch could be appliqued to extend into the borders.
Then I draw each part of the landscape onto a sheet of Seam-a-Steam 2 Lite. (I’m so glad this product is back on the market again.) I love it because it a double-faced fusible that has paper on both sides. You peel one side off, and it’s “sticky” so it clings to the fabric you want to use, but it repositionable. Then you fuse it with the iron, and wait for it to cool down before cutting and peeling off the second paper to fuse it to the background.
I started with the background and then cut and fused the individual items to it, starting with those furthest back and ending with those closest to the foreground.
I “auditioned” several fabrics before deciding on which ones to use, and which ones didn’t work.
The log cabin and trees were fun to pull together. For the chickadees, I created each bird separately and fused the pieced together as one and then set and fused them to the branches.
Here’s the chickadee & log cabin after they’ve been quilted with a bit of thread painting.
After everything was fused down, I quilted and thread painted with different colors of thread. My favorite thread is Aurifil. They have so many luscious colors to choose from.
Here’s the result after quilting and binding.
I immediately put it for sale in my Etsy shop, and it’s been sold and is on it’s way to it’s new home in Toronto, Ontario.
Until next time,